Whole Wheat Apple & Flax Waffles
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 1/2 tsp. ground flax powder
some crushed walnuts (optional)
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cup milk
3 small apples, peeled and cut into slices
1 tbsp. organic maple syrup, more for topping
scoop of vanilla ice cream, optional
1. Turn on waffle iron and let it heat up.
2. In large bowl combine first 6 ingredients, mix well. Make a well in the middle.
3. Add the milk, vanilla, and egg yolks to the well, gradually blend in with the flour mixture.
4. Beat the egg whites in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into waffle batter.
5. Add the apples to small frying pan. Once tender add the maple syrup and let simmer on lowest heat setting.
6. Prepare waffles in waffle iron until batter is all used up.
7. Top waffles with sauteed apples, maple syrup, and ice cream. Enjoy!